Saturday, February 11, 2017

VS Is Becoming Worse & Worse...


Recently, I tried, using VS 2015 Community, to create a simple Xamarin Forms app. All I did was select the standard template, and then tried to run the Android program. Didn't work ...

I don't remember the details, but rather than go through the tedious repair/uninstall process with VS 2015, I thought I'd try to install the VS 2017 Community Beta. I selected the standard template for Xamarin and then got this:

Not entirely encouraging ...
So I stopped VS 2107 and re-opened it. Then created the project again. I removed the iOS project, as I don't have a Mac, and don't want to see the "no mac" error window all the time. The Android project is the default start project. No error about packages this time. So I did a clean/rebuild of the solution. Here's the first error in the list of 3780!

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error CS0012 The type 'Object' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e'. DemoXamarinForms.Droid C:\repos\DemoCode\DemoXamarinForms\DemoXamarinForms\DemoXamarinForms.Droid\MainActivity.cs 7 Active

So first error is that mscorlib is not in any of the assemblies in the reference list for the Android project.

Does anyone do any testing at Microsoft anymore? It seems that since they went to this "open source" model, all they do is post s**t with the attitude "Well, this ought to work. If it doesn't the users will let us know ..."

As DJT might tweet: "SO SAD"...

No comments:

Post a Comment